The reason for wanting to be in a relationship can change as you get older. Friendship, companionship, as well as shared values, become even more important. That’s why over 50s dating services specialise in helping you find love based on compatibility and realistic matchmaking. Read on to find out what to look for in a relationship when finding love in your 50s.
Table of Contents
What are the best dating sites for finding love in your 50s?
Here are some suggestions for successful online dating in your 50s. You can click on this list to find out more about what sets each service apart:
- Find local partners to fall in love with
- Focused solely on serious matchmaking
- Active community to engage with
- Safe, reliable and discreet dating options
- Chat and flirt with other 50+ singles
- Enjoy flexibility for either casual or serious dating
- Ideal for 50+ and senior members
- Match locally or by a location of your choosing
- Trusted brand with an active, open community
- Caters to an academic crowd for serious romance
- Direct and easy to use chat and messaging
- Filter by location, interests, background and more
- Focused on successful and lasting matches
- Safe and reliable matchmaking trusted the world over
- Filter by interests and more
- Excellent for successful, motivated singles
- Flexible dating for busy professionals
- Find a soulmate who shares your work life balance
- Active and interested singles over 50
- Local matches and searching by city
- Intuitive design for easy use
- Ideal for real relationships that last
- Engage with an active and serious community
- Enjoy chatting, sending messages, and more
These dating services are well suited to finding love in your 50s. Their layouts and features are designed to make it convenient to browse, get matches, and chat with potential partners.
There is also the possibility of friendship dating as long as you are upfront about it on your profile (more on friendship dating below). These online dating services also have helpful resources for dating advice in your 50s or profile creation help.
Why is online dating in your 50s a good option?
Here are the reasons why online dating in your 50s is a good option:
- Dating online is flexible: With online dating, you can quickly set up your profile and start meeting new singles, enjoying the service either from the comfort of your own home or while you’re on the go.
- Faster matching with people you are compatible with: Search and filter singles out by a variety of characteristics that best fit your interests. You can look for partners based on age, weight, height, beliefs, and location.
- Active communities: Dating services also happen to be social networks for many members. You can meet singles who share your interests and experiences for either dating, friendship, or anything in-between.
- Date locally or long-distance: Don’t feel limited by the area around you! Dating online means that the whole world is your oyster for finding love, so if you can’t find anyone locally, just expand your search radius to meet singles further away or in a city of your choosing.
- Enjoy the benefits of chatting, messaging, and photos: You can interact with singles in a number of engaging and exciting ways.
What does finding love in your 50s look like?
Dating in your 50s broadly shifts from looking for a partner who will help you build a life together to finding a soulmate that will also be your best friend. Finding love later in life is about companionship and having someone who will be with you as you get older.
Having someone to share experiences and companionship will become as valuable as physical intimacy. Not just anyone, but someone that really is a great fit, in terms of experiences, and how they view the world.
Finding love in your 50s has a unique quality to it. Your experience with past relationships allows you to have more perspective and be a better judge of character. You are now in a position to build stronger and better bonds.
You are also able to move past your old insecurities and approach challenges in more productive ways. Dating over 50 also means being more attuned to what is really important to you. Being able to look past shallow interests, flaws, and drama is important to see someone for who they really are.
Finding love in your 50s: By the numbers
Here are some recent statistics about dating in your 50s that might surprise you.
- 60% of women and men over 50 are divorced or widowed.
- Independent dating experts report people over 50 feeling better about dating than they did in the past.
- According to a Daily Mail survey, chances of finding ‘The One’ increase with age to reach a high of roughly 1 in 300.
These are all encouraging indicators of how finding love in your 50s can be a rewarding and overall positive experience.
You also need to know what kind of love you want to have with someone as you begin to look if you want to have a healthy relationship without any surprises.
How to get started when finding love in your 50s?
Getting started can be the hardest part. This section will help you get over early obstacles and gather momentum to start finding love in your 50s.
Find out what you want first
If you want to find love as someone who is older, you really need to understand who you are and what you want in a relationship. The more insight you have into your own needs and wants, the better off you will be.
There is no shame in getting dating advice in your 50s. Here are some points to help you get started.
- Ask yourself if you are ready for a relationship or not. Think about how comfortable you are with the idea.
- What are your relationship goals?
- What are your priorities in terms of compatibility and intimacy?
- What are some attributes you would like to see in a potential partner? (Think: appearance, interests, values, faith, and family)
- How comfortable are you with online dating in your 50s?
- Are you familiar with friendship dating?
Reflecting honestly or discussing these questions with friends will help you get a jumpstart on finding love in your 50s.
Try friendship dating
Friendship dating is what it sounds like: older people who meet up through online dating and end up becoming new friends. There really isn’t a specific online dating platform that focuses on friendships, although over 50s dating sites have a more receptive audience.
Friendship dating mostly happens with people looking for serious relationships and when they end up meeting like-minded singles who share a platonic, as opposed to romantic, connection.
The reality is that dating platforms can often function as social media, facilitating not just romantic pairings, but general community and friendship as well. It’s not surprising, given how these services focus on putting people who have hobbies and interests in common together.
When dating online, the goal is to find a romantic partner, either for something casual or a long-term relationship. The matchmaking aspect of dating is all about finding a person who is a match for you. That doesn’t fundamentally always lead to romance. A list of compatible characteristics isn’t a guarantee of finding love in your 50s.
Compatibility is fertile ground for both friendship and romance. A friendship-first approach can work for finding love in your 50s. As long as you are upfront about your intentions, friendship dating is a great way to discover if there is something more to explore with someone you are on the same page with.
Romance is possible with someone you share a bond with. You want to be friends with the person you fall in love with, and starting off with friendship dating may be the best way to find that soul mate. And if you don’t meet that special someone, at least you’ll have made friends along the way.
Specific steps to finding love in your 50s
Here are some steps in the process of finding love in your 50s:
- Reflect on who you are and what your own interests are, as well as what your ideal partner is like.
- Decide how you want to get out there and try to meet new people. We recommend trying both dating apps and sites, as well as going out in person to meetups, local events, and more to try meeting other older singles.
- Consider a dating coach if you feel uncomfortable, as they can offer you more intensive one-on-one advice to help you out. They can also help with creating an effective dating profile.
- Be active in both online dating and in your local community to give yourself a better chance. Don’t wait for someone to come to you.
- Talk to friends and family if you can, and be honest with them about your journey as you date and look for a new partner
- Don’t be discouraged by setbacks, being turned down, or dates that don’t work out. Getting back in the saddle is more important than ever when that happens.
- Take your time when you do meet someone and don’t rush into a relationship. Even if your profiles or first impression suggest you are compatible, it is better to confirm it by spending time together.
FAQs: Finding love in your 50s
To help you find your own love story, let’s look at some of the most frequently asked questions below.
Is finding love in your 50s possible?
Yes, it is. There are plenty of wonderful men and women who are potential matches just waiting to meet you. The biggest challenge to overcome is to make an effort to put yourself out there. After that, it’s just a matter of time.
How do I find my partner after 50?
The thing that is going to help the most, when it comes to finding love in your 50s, is being proactive. This means putting yourself out there whenever over 50s groups meet. You should also consider using online dating services, as they’ll give you the best shot at finding love in your 50s.
What is it like to fall in love in your 50s?
Falling in love in your 50s will be a unique experience informed by your personality and past romantic relationships. It’s normal to get a sense of deja-vu or to look back at other occasions you’ve fallen in love, all while being smitten by the current experience.
Is it too late to start finding love in your 50s?
It’s never too late for anyone to find true love. Your chances of finding love later in life and any point earlier depend on whether you want to or not.
Your location, circumstances such as mobility or finances, and the kind of relationship you are looking for can be key factors in how long it takes. Don’t be discouraged by setbacks though, and keep looking.